Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Post ideas regarding Critical Analysis Podcast assignment

I narrowed down my focus to racism. This is the issue that has been constantly brought up. So listening to podcasts of different books and opinions about it would certainly be intriguing. Even as adults, we could learn from another's point of view on the issue or how he or she perceives the book.

I was thinking about the children's book Red or Blue, I Like You! a Sesame Street storybook featuring Elmo. It primarily talks about race and their differences and similarities. Elmo meets a new friend named Angela, who is a blue-monster. Elmo goes over to Angela's house located in an all blue-monster community. There are many things they are surprised about Elmo. One of those things, they thought it's interesting that Elmo likes the same kind of food as them. When Angela goes over Elmo's house a similar situation arises but in Elmo's family not everyone is red, there are members of the family who come in several colors. Elmo's aunt offers Angela to make spaghetti for dinner, but to his aunt's surprise, Angela says that she likes chicken and salad like everyone else in the house. Angela also meets Elmo's friends who are green monsters, blue monsters and big yellow birds. That day she played with all of them, enjoyed it so much and eager to return to Sesame Street.

Using this book, I would bring up questions about what I would discuss with the class after reading the book. I feel like this is such a great book to discuss with children around the ages between 4 to 7 year olds. I would talk about why this book should be exposed to children at such a young age and how talking about racism will affect them.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...even as adults this is a conversation that makes many of uncomfortable. I think you just need to be careful to make sure to include a critique of the text as well. So for instance what are some issues regarding race that might be trivialized in the text or what are some other issues re. race that are not addressed in the text and so forth.

    I look forward to what you produce.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete